Granite countertops are one of the most popular choices for kitchen and bathroom areas. They offer a unique combination of beauty and functionality. Granite countertops can instantly enhance your room’s overall beauty and elegance thanks to their extreme strength, durability, and beautiful looks. Granite countertops are a top contender for countertop selections for many reasons. Keep reading to learn more about granite countertops and why they are a smart choice for your home.
Advantages of Granite Countertops
Because of their unique features, granite countertops are popular among homeowners and interior designers. Getting them will not only make your rooms look beautiful and elegant, but also they will last a lifetime. Read below to learn more about the advantages of granite countertops.
- Natural Beauty: Granite forms naturally in the earth and is then quarried to be shaped into various applications. Since it’s not a manufactured material, each granite slab is unique. Granite countertops combine the best of both worlds; durability and beauty. Renowned for their distinctive looks, granite countertops feature various natural colors, patterns, and veining. No matter which interior design style you prefer, there’s a granite countertop that fits perfectly.
- Strength and Durability: When it comes to strength and durability, granite is unmatched among natural stones. Thanks to the way it’s formed, granite becomes an incredibly dense and hard stone. This natural strength of granite makes it a perfect option for countertops since it can withstand the rigors of daily use. Whit proper care, your granite countertops will last for decades, making them a long-term investment in your home.
- Scratch and Heat Resistance: How granite is formed makes it quite heat resistant. That is yet another reason why granite countertops are popular among kitchen designers. Granite is less likely to be damaged by sharp objects. Your countertops will resist scratches from knives more than any other natural stone. However, we strongly advise using cutting boards or trivets to protect your granite kitchen countertops.
- Easy Maintenance: Granite is relatively easy to clean and maintain, making it a perfect choice for busy homeowners. Mild dish soap and warm water are generally enough to deal with daily spills or dirt. Remember to wipe with a soft cloth to keep your granite countertops looking just as good as day one. Since granite is a porous stone, water or other liquids can enter the stone, leading to permanent stains or bacterial growth. To prevent this, granite countertops are sealed during installation. To keep your granite countertops protected, get them resealed periodically.
- Increased Home Value: As you can see, granite countertops have many advantages, which is exactly why they can significantly increase your home’s value. Well-maintained granite countertops will impress potential buyers with their amazing looks. If you plan to sell your home in the future, installing granite countertops is a smart decision.
Disadvantages of Granite CountertopsAs you can see, granite countertops have numerous advantages. Their popularity shows that the benefits of granite countertops outweigh their disadvantages. Below are some drawbacks of granite countertops.
- Price: Granite is a high-quality building material that raises its price. Compared to other materials, granite can be considered mid to high level in terms of costs. However, many factors influence the total price of granite countertops. For example, rarer types of granite will have higher prices. Other factors like the source, dimensions, and labor costs all affect the price.
- Installation: Installing granite countertops is not a DIY project. Even the smallest projects can be too much to do yourself. Granite countertops require a professional installer; thankfully, that is where we excel as well.
- Repairs can be tough: As mentioned earlier, granite countertops are extremely strong and durable. However, if your granite countertops sustain significant damage, repairing them can be difficult or impossible.
Why Granite Countertops Are the Right Choice for YouGranite countertops are an excellent choice when it comes to home improvement. Their popularity is rooted in their extreme durability and unmatched beauty. Granite’s natural looks add a timeless look to your home, helping you create mesmerizing areas. If you want to create beautiful spaces that can stand the test of time, then granite is definitely the right choice. Thanks to the diverse range of colors, patterns, and veining of granite, your countertops will create unique focal points. Whether for a warm and inviting look or a sleek and modern atmosphere, you can find a granite countertop that fits your design choices.
When to Reseal Granite CountertopsGranite countertops look beautiful, and they are strong. However, their porous nature makes them absorbent to a degree. Applying a sealant or sealer during installation can decrease the chances of liquids seeping into the stone. That is why keeping your granite surfaces sealed at all times is essential. Various factors can affect how often you need to reseal your granite countertops. Keep reading to learn more about them.
- Each type of granite has different porosity. The type of slab of your granite countertops can play a massive role in resealing periods.
- If you have maintained your granite countertops properly, you probably won’t have to reseal them often. Avoiding acidic or abrasive cleaners is also essential to protect your granite countertops. Regularly taking a water test on your countertops is a great way to find out if your sealer needs to be reapplied.
- The traffic your granite countertops get can affect the resealing periods. Your granite countertops will require resealing more often if they are subject to wear and tear.
- The type of sealant used on your countertops is another important factor. While some sealants last longer, others may have shorter effective times. Long-lasting granite sealants tend to cost more. However, they are well worth the investment.