Granite is an igneous rock, meaning that it gets formed by the slow cooling down of magma beneath the earth. They mainly comprise quartz, feldspar, mica, and various minerals that color the stone. As the name suggests, black granite has dark minerals such as amphibole and biotite, resulting in distinct colorations. The impurities in the stone add beautiful and elegant veining, adding to your design projects’ depth.
Regarding black granite countertops, they are the perfect design element where aesthetics, versatility, and durability meet in one place. They are the ideal way to make a bold statement in your kitchen and bathroom areas. The luxurious and sophisticated looks they provide have been sought for a long time and are still quite trendy today.
Why Black Granite is an Excellent Countertop Material?
Along with white, black granite countertops have been popular among homeowners and interior designers. Thanks to their innate beauty and exceptional durability, black granite countertops can be used in almost every design style. Let’s take a closer look at the advantages of black granite countertops.
- Timeless Beauty: Black granite forms naturally in the earth, bringing a touch of nature and sophistication into your kitchen and bathroom areas. Their unique looks create an allure that other materials can’t provide. The timeless looks of black granite don’t date as quickly as other natural stones. Black granite countertops are the perfect design element to create contrasts in your décor.
- Versatility: Black granite countertops can be utilized in various interior design styles. Whether used in contemporary kitchens for minimalist decors or traditional kitchens to set the mood, black granite countertops are worth every penny. Since granite slabs are natural materials, they each have their looks. This means there won’t be another look at exactly how your countertops look.
- Exceptional Durability: The first thing that comes to mind when talking about granite is its extreme durability. Each granite slab becomes extremely strong and durable due to the way they are formed. Their hard and dense composition makes your black granite countertops extremely durable, with scratches, chipping, and heat. They can easily withstand the wear and tear of daily use while staying pristine for many years.
- Low-Maintenance: As all natural stones, black granite countertops require sealing. Because of their porous nature, the sealing process is essential. Otherwise, liquids can seep into the stone, leaving permanent stains behind or causing bacterial growth. Regularly resealing your black granite countertops is a great idea. Also, this sealing process makes your granite kitchen countertops easy to clean, saving you energy and time. However, using heat pads, trivets, or coasters on your black granite countertops is a great idea. Also, remember to use chopping boards while chopping or slicing food because sharp objects like knives can end up scratching the surface.
- Easy Cleaning: Another amazing feature of black granite countertops is that they are quite easy to clean. You only need mild dish soap and water to clean them. Simply wipe away dirt with a soft cloth, then apply dish soap and some water. Dry your black granite countertops with another soft cloth, and you’re done.
- Increases Value: If you are considering selling your home in the future, then having black granite countertops is a great idea. When taken care of properly, black granite countertops will look amazing for a long time, becoming a wise investment for your home. The timeless looks of black granite countertops are cherished by many. You will be one step ahead with these amazing natural stone countertops.
What to Consider Before Your Purchase?
As they have advantages, black granite countertops have some disadvantages as well. However, they should be considered as minor setbacks.
- Noticeable Dust: The dark background makes built-up dust more noticeable on black granite countertops, especially with polished finishes. Luckily, cleaning your black granite countertops is easy.
- Can Make Rooms Look Smaller: The dark color of black granite countertops absorbs the light. Which means they can make your rooms appear smaller than they are. They are best when used in larger rooms.
- Fingerprints and Water Marks: When light hits the surface of your black granite countertops, fingertips and watermarks become noticeable. They can easily be wiped down to have your countertops looking pristine again.
- Require sealing: As mentioned earlier, black granite countertops require sealing and regular resealing. This is to have an extra layer of protection on your countertop’s surface. Always use hot pads or trivets to protect the sealant when placing hot objects on your countertops.
- Require professionals: Black granite countertops are heavy and hard to work with. That is why they require professionals for installation. Luckily, we are here to help you with that.
- Cost: Black granite is a high-end material, making it pricier than the average countertop material. Other factors, such as the amount needed or the type of granite, all add up to the price. Especially the more uniform the countertop is, the price goes up.
Black granite countertops are the perfect design element to add a sense of sophistication, luxury, and elegance to your kitchen and bathrooms. The advantages of this amazing stone make it a timeless classic that will never go out of style. Whether you wish to make a bold statement or create a contrast in your décor, black granite countertops are a great choice. Their high durability makes them suitable for high-traffic areas, which is yet another reason for their popularity.
As Ilkem Marble and Granite, we are a family-owned and operated company providing our customers with the highest quality materials and service. We have been serving our customers since 2009, all the while offering competitive pricing and one-stop shopping. As seasoned designers, fabricators, and installers, we take pride in treating our customers as if they are our family members. Feel free to contact us for any design project.